Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Friendships

Friendships in life are in no means an easy thing to sustain. They have their rough times, their good times, and everything in between. Now, I am definitely not perfect when it comes to my own friendships. I have so much to learn still on how to give up my own time for my friends, to listen, and to encourage. While at school it is so easy to become focused on a limited amount of tasks, while forgetting that there are still people around you. I shouldn't be 100% focused on my schoolwork, on classes, on my boyfriend {yes, this may be hard to believe}, or on my friendships. But, I should strive to find a happy medium. 

There are several things that I have noticed about friendships:

1. It takes two. Two hearts willing to put into the relationship. There cannot be one friend putting in all of their effort while the other just sits back and receives. Both must give in order for the friendship to thrive. 
Acts 20:35 "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

2. We should love our friends, as well as our enemies. God loves us with a love we cannot comprehend and though we could never return the same love He gives us, we should still try our best. Loving others not only is a step of obedience in Christ, but helps one grow and become more like Christ. One will also find their lives will be greatly enriched by loving others.
John 15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

3. You must be willing to forgive. All people make mistakes, and though they may not be equal in our eyes, they are equal to the Lord. God has forgiven us, and we should reflect God by forgiving others. 
Ephesians 4:32 "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another."

4. It is important to pick good friends. We as humans, are like mirrors. We are constantly reflecting and conforming to what we place ourselves around. If we place ourselves around those who are involved with immoral conversation or actions, we are likely to become involved. if we place ourselves in an area where people are not growing, we are not likely to grow. But, if we place ourselves around those who are godly, and want to learn more about Him and grow in Him, we are likely to do the same. 
1 Corinthians 15:33 "Be not deceived, evil communications corrupt good manners."

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.” -C.S. Lewis

*Photo Cred: Bonnie King Photography*

No comments: